Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Lag (Leah)

Last night was the mark of the first week that New Phil did not call to get together in the last four months. Call me silly and over analytical, but it sort of worried me. He's rather predictable and has called to ask me out, or called to spontanesouly go out for ice cream, by Wednesday at the lastest, so when Wednesdsay night came and left I felt a bit of a let down. I felt that ominous dark cloud that dating seems to always bring - the dreaded drop of interest. It didn't help that my mother called and happened to do a bit of prying and asked innocently, "Can you think of any reason he didn't call?" The very fact that something seemingly so minor could be made into such a big deal is what really bugged me the most - more than the fact that he didn't call! As one of my married friends observed, I'll never notice this one blip of a week in the eternal perspective or even the yearly perspective. And here I am blogging about it only adding to the mountain of this molehill. Silly. I think Bridgette's post was the perfect thing I needed to hear this morning. And I have to admit I had a great night last night hanging out with an old friend and taking care of some errands. I woke up in a great mood, ready for the gym, and a day of work. True I wish/hope I hear from Phil, but life is for living, not regretting.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Leah, what came to my mind in sort of an objective way, because it would be very hard for me to take the suggestion i am about to make to you....how about you call him? I've been told that it is very attractive for a woman that knows what she wants to go after it...why leave it up to him? It might be very refreshing to your relationship for you to make the first move...which is really like the 49th or 87th move, because he's asked you out continually for months :)

Leah said...

You are so right Bridget! And I have done that. In fact, early on we used to naturally just sort of take turns. But I guess I've gotten lazy. Or I've tried to be "less available" - you know, so he wouldn't take me for granted, sort of thing.
And now, I hate that I have to say this - or actually I'm happy that I have to say this - he just called. Seriously - just 20 minutes ago. We made plans for the weekend.

Bridget said...

LOL, great. Don't you just love that?! We can be such girls sometimes....

Jules said...

Glad he called! Had to giggle at the conversation with your mom, though...convos like that are why, 5 years ago, I stopped telling my parents about guys I date. :-)