Friday, July 4, 2008

10 Things About Marnie

Ok, if you haven’t noticed yet, I’m very wordy when I write – thus the WAY too long “10 things about me" list. I should be concise and state the facts, but I love to embellish and share my reasons. So, here goes!
  1. I love to plan parties and activities. I hate it when there is nothing to do – if I’m single, I might as well have the magnificent social life that all married people think I have. And sometimes you have to make and plan that magnificent social life.
  2. I’ve just discovered my domestic side and actually really like it! These last few months, I’ve been intrigued with the Cooking Channel and HGTV. And I’ve started experimenting - cooking, sewing, gardening (ok, the gardening is more like keeping my house plants alive). It’s helping me get over my worry that I won’t be domestic enough to be a good wife.
  3. I live in Utah by myself because of my job – my whole family is in California. I find living in Utah both liberating and lonely – and I love/hate it. Luckily, I go home at least 4 times a year to regroup and spend time with them. When I have to leave them and come back to Utah, it’s another love/hate thing…
  4. The one question I dread the most on dates/interactions with potentials is: “So what do you like to do in your free time?” That question makes me feel ill-equipped. I’m one of the busiest persons I know and yet I can’t break down how I spend my free time into one interest or hobby. I’m too busy and have too many interests to focus on one thing ALL the time. The good news is that I’ve turned over a new leaf and have decided I will tell the date/interest asking the question my huge list of things I love to do when I can.
  5. I hate snow. But rain brings me joy.
  6. Kris inspired this next one....I’ve never been kissed. Honest. Oh wait! There was that walrus at Sea World when I was 11. (I’m happy to say there was no tongue involved in that incident!) And yes, I wanted to kiss both The One and Rebound so badly it physically and emotionally hurt!! But it just didn’t happen. Oh, and watching the Drew Barrymore movie with the same title hit a little too close to home.
  7. I’m a TERRIBLE speller. And I spell check every thing I write. I’ve been known to type out on the computer what I put in a thank you card just so I can spell it all correctly!
  8. I have to sleep with a fan on – I’ve got tinnitus (ringing in my ears). Before I was diagnosed in my 20s, I thought silence sounded like a high pitched ringing.
  9. And while I’m on the subject of sleeping, I love to sleep in on a Saturday morning and wake up naturally with no alarm clock going off. I love to think and ponder while waking up. And most of my epiphanies and answers to prayers come while lying in bed thinking and listening to the fan in the background.
  10. I’m going to write a book one day about my “interesting life” as a single Mormon woman. It will include bad blind dates, and crazy coincidences, ironies, and stories from my relationships and experiences. It will be hilarious! I’ve got it outlined, but I’m having a hard time getting to a really good ending! :-)

1 comment:

Kris said...

Great list Marnie. We need an update too. What happened with the speed dating guy? Did you check his references? :)