Saturday, June 21, 2008

Every Woman loves a good fairy tale (Bridget)

So, I was online the other day, checking my messages on LDS Planet and I was instant messaged by a normal looking guy in Utah. I chatted back and forth with him for a few minutes, and he suggested we talk on the phone. For a second, i thought it was too soon, but then thought, why not, nothing ventured nothing gained, right? And again,he looked normal, and he was a couple of states away, which adds comfort to the situation for some reason..not sure why. So, he calls me,and for the first 5 minutes, he is going on about how "everyone" online is not serious about really meeting anyone, that he is looking for someone that is ready to settle down, that "everyone" "should" not be so picky and that the priesthood manual said something about any man and woman can make it work if they want to...and then after what felt like a half an hour, and sort of similar to a root canal, the conversation went silent. I was actually unsure if he was still on the line. I'm not sure if it really mattered that i was on the line or not, he was just happy to get his opinions out in the open, one more time. After a strained two or three moments, me, thinking of a way to get off the phone politely, he asked me how dating was in California. I told him that I had dated here in California more than when I lived in Utah, and I think it was due to the fact I have gone to a lot more activities, ie dances where I could actually meet someone...he then asked me, with what I thought was a somewhat accusing air,"So why are you not married yet?" Gosh, i love when people ask me that question...especially in the first conversation...I said, I don't know...he then said that "women today" want the fairy tale...they want someone to be perfect...by this point in the conversation, I am sure he knew that I was not on the same page as him...I said, well truthfully, I am right now trying to finish my bachelor's degree and working on myself,I will be ready for the kind of man that i would really like, he then told me "See, you can't do that,life is what happens when you're making plans, you need to be more flexible" He then asked me "Well, do you want kids?" I said yes, and then he asked if I wanted to be a stay at home mom...I told him no, which is not the complete truth...but he promptly hung up on me...which was very welcome,and really I wondered why I didn't think of doing that sooner. I sat there stunned, and really effected by this really weird, 15 minute combative conversation that I allowed myself to be in for 14 minutes too long. It really did make me think about what I found so offensive about the whole conversation. One was the sweeping statements he was throwing out. The very thought that "everyone" this and "everyone that" squeezes out any possibility of someone not being in that category, and the way that he felt he could make such quick judgements about my life, and how i needed to change it. I really felt as if, in those moments, quick as they were, he was talking to not me, but to "everyone" online or "every woman" that wants that fairy tale. He didn't ever get past that to even know anything about the woman that he was actually on the phone with. I thought about the opportunity I have to make less sweeping statements, and not be so quick to judge people and situations,because a lot is missed and thrown away when I trust and perceive my new situation, only by the experience of my previous experiences. Oh, and I really need to get out to singles activities..this online stuff is really making me tired...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be Princess Bubble! This modern day fairy tale has a great message!

Marnie said...

This guy is something else! I am SO impressed you didn't hang up on him first. If he keeps up that behavior and self centered behavior, you'll be married 40 years with grandchildren before he figures out his "problem."